Paper : IGNOU EMBA Paper - R1: Research Methodology (June 2007)
Commonwealth Executive MBA/MPA Programme
R1: Research Methodology
Time: 3 hours
Maximum Marks: 100 (Weightage: 70%)
Note: (i) Answer any four questions from Section A carrying 15 marks each. Section B is compulsary and carries 40 marks.
(ii) Statistical tables will be provided.
1. Explain the steps of a research process. In what categories can research be classified on the basis of the fundamental objectives of research?
2. Given below are three questions that belong to a questionnaire for finding out reader's attitudes for a leading monthly magazine say Reader's Digest. Comment on each as to whether it is a good question. Give reasons for your answer.
(a) Do you read Reader's Digest regularly?
(b) What percentage of your time is spent on attending meetings in your office?
(c) How much discretionary buying power do you have per year?
3. What is a Semantic Differential Scale? What does this measure ? Explain the steps in construction of the scale.
4. Discuss different elements of communication that you keep in mind while presenting a report.
5. According to the National Retail Federation and Center for Retailing Education at the University of Florida, the four main sources of inventory shrinkage are employee theft, shoplifting, administrative error, and vendor fraud. The estimated annual dollar amount in shrinkage ($millions) associated with each of these data sources are as follows :
Construct a ple chart to depict these data.
6. Write short notes on any four of the following :
(a) Completely Randomized Design (CRD)
(b) Null and Alternate Hypotheses
(c) Simulation Models
(d) Discriminant Analysis
(e) Categories of Report
(f) Presenter's Poise
7. The weight (gms) of 31 apples picked from a consignment are as follows :
106 107 76 82 106 107 115 93 187 95 123
125 1 1 1 92 86 70 I27 68 130 129 139 119
115 128 100 186 84 99 113 204 111
Apply Run Test for Randomness to test whether the sample can be treated as random.